Hello, all. As I mentioned before, I am trying to launch OPC youth council, and we are receiving nominations. Here are some details of what's involved and how you can become an OPC youth council member.
OPC Youth Council will be involved in two major works:
1. Developing and running activities and events in OPC Youth. We have weekly youth night and we would like to play fun games and activities. Youth Council will organize and run these games and activities. We also have a number of special events for OPC Youth throughout the year. OPC Youth Council will plan and run these events, working with John and adult volunteers.
2. Leading and Connecting with Small Groups. We would like to create small groups within OPC Youth. Occasionally, OPC Youth Council members will facilitate devotion and faith conversations for small groups. They will also be the ones who connect with their small group members for communication and receiving feedback from peers. They will notice if their peers in the small group have not been seen in the church for awhile and encourage them to become connected to the church again. They will also bring concerns and feedbacks from peers to the council and leadership.
1. OPC Youth Council will receive training from John in summer. We will meet a couple of times for team building and training for the year ahead.
2. OPC Youth Council will meet monthly to pray, plan and discuss. John and adult volunteers will work with Youth Council in these monthly meetings.
3. OPC Youth Council will serve one year, from September 2017 until a new Youth Council becomes appointed in September 2018. We will have a Commissioning Sunday on September 10, which officially launches our OPC Youth Council.
How Can Someone be Involved:
1. First, one needs to be nominated to be considered. There are two ways you can nominate. You can nominate a youth on our facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/165469690145321/). There is a poll and we need two people's support for someone to be considered as a candidate. If you do not have a facebook account, you can come to our church website and send in a nomination request (http://www.oakridgechurch.ca/programs/youth/youth-council/). Again, you will need two people's support to be considered as a candidate. Anyone can nominate (no need to be youth to nominate), and you can nominate yourself as well. You can nominate multiple people as well. The nomination will be closed at 11:59 PM on Sunday, June 25.
2. By default, candidates must be in our youth group age (Gr 6 to Pre-College) Once people are nominated, they will be contacted to inquire their willingness to stand and to be interviewed. After the interview process, we will announce our OPC Youth Council members by early July.
Please feel free to contact Rev. John for questions or clarification.