OPC Mini-Newsletter - September 11, 2020
He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6: 8
Dear Congregation: The prophet Micah speaks directly about what is required of the people of God. Those who were wealthy and powerful were taking advantage of the poor and vulnerable. Micah desired to restore the people’s relationship with God. The instructions are put in a nutshell. They are not just to talk about justice but to do it! They are not only to be kind, but to love kindness. When one loves kindness, they will tend to pursue kindness and look for it. The last part ‘to walk humbly with you God’ I would like to focus on a little more at this time.
Recently, at one of our weekly OPC Wednesday staff meetings, the idea of humility was discussed. A humble spirit leads to collaboration and unity among the body of Christ. Humility starts with a personal acknowledgment of our complete dependence on God. From time to time in the past, I have shared the words of the Heidelberg Catechism question and answer one: “What is your only comfort in life and in death?” The answer: “I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ.” The answer shows our dependence on Christ.
We have a complete reliance on Jesus for our salvation and our very existence. It is a relief that it does not depend on our own strength or abilities! Our humility should shape how we treat one another. It is important to remember that we all belong to God, so we have neither an authority of our own nor a right to profit from other. May we humbly walk with God as we serve one another!
Prayer: Lord, shape us as people who acknowledge our dependence on you. Give us humble hearts to serve. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Hello OPC Family,
As a Christian Education Team, we have made the choice that in-person Sunday school for children and youth be scheduled to resume, (within Health guidelines) at the beginning of November. This is not a decision we have made lightly and it has come with much debate and prayer. Ultimately we have made this choice by the health and safety of our community first.
We know that many students are heading back to school this coming week and this is a big factor in our decision to wait. While schools are being cohorted to keep students in a consistent ‘bubble’ our community brings many of these cohorts together resulting in a larger potential for spread if someone does become ill.
We know that for many this is not the decision you were hoping for, but we want to make sure to do this as safely as possible. With that in mind we ask for your patience and grace.
OPC Christian Education Team
Marianne Ashbourne: Marianne.email@example.com
Judy Buchanan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ed Hoekstra: email@example.com
Sonia Brule: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Hopkins: email@example.com
We continue to have our Youth lesson Sunday mornings on our YouTube video. Plan on joining us there.
We are resuming our Zoom meetings on Wednesday Evening at 6:30pm. We are very excited to be back to seeing one another. Contact Jeff to get the link to be part of the zoom call.
We will be continuing our Zoom Bible Study this Sunday as we study the book of Acts chapters 12 and 13. Email Jeff to get a link to be part of the study.
This Sunday, September 13th we are looking forward to meeting again in-person for a 9:15am service. Your health and well-being is very important to us. With that in mind there are a few new things that we want you to know before joining us:
· If you have any Covid-19 Symptoms or have come in contact with a confirmed case of Covid-19, please enjoy the service from home on YouTube.
· Please use washroom facilities at home. On site facilities will be available for emergency use.
· Please arrive no earlier than 20 minutes before the service starts.
· Everyone MUST maintain a minimum physical distance of 6 feet.
· All Attendees must wear a Face covering that covers the nose and mouth before entering the building.
· Enter through the Main Entrance, and use the provided hand sanitizer.
· Upon entry you will be screened and your information recorded for contact tracing.
· An Usher will seat you in the sanctuary.
· At this time Congregational singing is not permitted.
· There will be no Children and Youth programming at this time.
· At the end of the service ushers will guide us through exiting procedures.
· Please do not congregate in hallways, you will be asked to leave immediately following the service.
· Pastor Ed will be available to speak with from a safe distance on the green space.
*Registration for September 20th 9:15am & 11am services will be available on Monday, September 14th. You can register for church through our website and an email will be sent out with the link. Register early, seating is limited.
If you do not have computer access, and you are unable to register yourself online, please call Kathy MacDonald in the church office so she can register you.
OPC Reopening Team
1) Pastor Ed will be on one week of holidays this coming Monday, September 14th to September 20th (inclusive). He will be back in the office on Monday, September 21st. Wilma Boyce, OPC’s Pastoral Care and Adult Ministries Coordinator will cover for any pastoral needs and emergencies. Rev. Jim Redpath will be assisting Wilma as the need arises.
2) This Sunday, September 13th is the first “in-person” worship service for our congregation since the Coronavirus suspension of services last March. We are excited about welcoming those who have reserved a seat for this Sunday. Because of the need for safety and social distancing, the amount of worshipping congregants in the sanctuary is substantially less.
To make room for more worshippers, next Sunday, September 20th, we are offering two worship services: 9:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Starting on Monday morning you can sign up for either service. Kathy MacDonald, OPC’s Office Administrator will send out the electronic link in your email for you to click on to reserve.
3) Thank you to our Reopening Team for the hard work in preparing for our opening Sunday. Most of the staff and some session elders have worked together to diligently gather information and implement all that is needed to provide a safe environment for those planning to attend.
Also, thank you to our Woodys who responded quickly to the need of installing ropes on the pews to guide the congregants to where they can sit in order to maintain the social distances needed for safety.
Our AV/Live Streaming Team deserves a word of thanks as well for their dedication and diligence in delivering the live stream service to our congregants each week.
4) Wallet found - If you have lost yours please contact Kathy MacDonald in the church office.
The staff is still working hard and wants to support you. Please call 519-471-2290 and our extensions are listed below.